When the heat of the Central Coast hits, you want to be ready with an air conditioning unit that is working at its best. On average, most air conditioners last approximately 13 to 15 years. Having to replace an air conditioning unit before it is time can be expensive. You can take several steps to prolong the life of your air conditioning unit – saving you money in the long-run.
- Clean the condenser – The condenser often sits outside of the house. This is the part of your air conditioning unit that does the cooling. Since the condenser is exposed to the elements, it is important to keep shrubs and debris away from the unit. A clogged condenser is a sure way to kill your system well before its 15 years. Cristal Air’s air conditioning repair Atascadero crew can help you with regular condenser maintenance – no problem!
- Keep your unit cool – Yes, even your air conditioning unit needs to stay cool. To do this, avoid having your air conditioning unit in direct sunlight, if possible. In the Central Coast heat this may not be the easiest thing to do. You can plant trees and shrubs between the direct sunlight and the air conditioning unit. Keep in mind that any plants should be at least 2 feet from the unit.
- Follow an air conditioning cleaning regime – With strong summer breezes, debris and leaves can get lodged in an outdoor air conditioning unit. To properly clean the unit, refer to the owner’s manual – if you have it. If you do clean the unit yourself, be sure to turn off the power to the air conditioning unit and wait at least 10 minutes before cleaning the unit. If you’re ever in doubt about how to properly clean or maintain your unit, you can call the air conditioning specialists at Cristal Air to maintain your unit to keep it ticking for years to come.
- Don’t block the cooling vents – Make sure that all furniture, toys, pictures and other items are not placed directly in front of or on top of the cooling vents in your home or business. Having a clear pathway for the cool air to circulate is crucial in cutting down on the work your air conditioning unit has to do. If you have moved all obstacles away from cooling vents, but still don’t think your unit is performing at its optimal level, then call the air conditioning repair Atascadero experts at Cristal Air.
- Buy and install a programmable thermostat – This small device can save you tons of money over the life of your unit. It works best if you set the thermostat to lower (or cooler temperatures) when you’re home during the evenings or weekends, but to a higher (or warmer temperature) when you are not home or at night when the outside temperature is naturally lower. This way you can ensure that your air conditioning unit is only working as hard as you need it to when you need the cooler air the most.
- Look for loose seams and spaces – This often requires the help of an air conditioning repair Atascadero specialist, but is also an easy fix for the traditional do-it-yourselfer. Any joints where the ducts attach should be taped to each other to prevent any cool air from escaping. You want to ensure that the cool air is not getting lost as it circulates from your outdoor unit into your home. The air conditioning professionals at Cristal Air will be happy to help you with this.
Even though your air conditioning unit does have an expiration date, you can take these simple steps to extend the life of your unit for as long as possible.